Pet symptom - Dog's head

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     Emergency RED text version

Lungworm Epidemic - Protect Your Dog

Blog Header Lungworm

Lungworm is quickly spreading across the UK with several universities compiling studies on the matter. Lungworm is a dangerous parasite that can cause serious harm to dogs and can even be fatal if not diagnosed and treated.

How can my dog get lungworm?

The parasite is present in the bodies of slugs and snails. Consequently, dogs can become infected if they ingest a snail or slug. Recent studies by the University of Bristol have also confirmed that lungworm can even be transmitted to dogs that lick the slime trail of a slug or snail.

Why is lungworm spreading?

Lungworms are never actually seen due to the fact that they live in the heart and pulmonary arteries of infected animals. The parasites’ larvae are then excreted in the host’s faeces where they are picked up by slugs and snails. Lungworm infection is spreading dramatically across the UK with up to 50% of foxes having been reported as infected*.

How can I protect my dog from lungworm?

  • Where possible, always try to prevent your dog from eating snails and slugs.
  • Protect your dog against lungworm. Treatment can be administered by your local Medivet vet, use our online practice finder to find yours.

What are the signs of a lungworm infection?

Lungworm symptoms include coughing, vomiting, excessive bleeding from small wounds and seizures. You may also notice behavioural changes in your dog, including depression, tiredness and loss of appetite. If you are at all worried about your dog and think they could have lungworm, then you need to contact your local vet immediately.

What will happen if my dog has got lungworm?

If a lungworm infected dog is treated by a vet early enough, then they are likely to make a full recovery. However, if not treated, this infection could result in death. If you have any concerns at all then make sure you contact your vet.

 

*Information Source:

The Telegraph Online (Study by University of Bristol) – Britain's dog population in danger from killer parasite spread by foxes http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/pets-health/11872830/Britains-dog-population-in-danger-from-killer-parasite-spread-by-foxes.html  

Posted October 14, 2015 by Faye Absolom in Pet Care Advice

Share this post: